[e2e] TCP over mobile networks: Are there any problems left?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Sat Feb 11 09:31:31 PST 2006

This question may sound somewhat stupid, but after having read about
quite a few claimed "problems" with TCP over mobile network, I´m finally
not sure whether there exist any or not.

As one example, the frequently discussed spurious timeouts turn out to
be a myth, when we look at
"TCP Spurious Timeout estimation in an operational GPRS/UMTS network" by
Francesco Vacirca, Thomas Ziegler and Eduard Hasenleithner.

I´m somewhat puzzled here. I read about alleged problems here in quite a
few papers for years, but when I have a closer look
at them, most of the alleged problems are not really sound.

So, I tend to say provokingly: "TCP over mobile networks works just fine
as it is. There are no known problems left."
Is this true? Or am I wrong here?
--
Detlef Bosau
Galileistrasse 30