[e2e] 100% NAT - a DoS proof internet

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Mon Feb 13 04:26:22 PST 2006

Are you telling me that you think that devices that are behind NATs
don't get DOS'd?

I would prefer that you used the term "stateful firewall" as compared
to "NAT"; NATs aren't necessarily stateful, and stateful firewall
technology doesn't require network address translation to make it
work. If the mapping between an interior address and an exterior
address is predictable, the device behind can be DOS'd; the thing
that a stateful firewall does is make the attack a bit harder to
perpetrate.

Let me give you a simplistic example. If I have a SIP Proxy in a NAT
system, so that SIP is made to traverse the firewall in a
straightforward manner, SIP can then be used as an attack vector to
the device it proxies for. That is but one.