[e2e] 100% NAT - a DoS proof internet

Dan Wing dwing at cisco.com
Mon Feb 20 14:57:23 PST 2006

> > I must be misunderstanding.  ICE (draft-ietf-mmusic-ice) describes
> > how a bi-directional UDP stream can be established between two
> > hosts behind their own NATs, like this:
> >
> >    [host]--[NAT]-----[Internet]-----[NAT]--[host]
>
> From your description above:
>
> 	- each host learns its public IP address
> 		please describe how this happens if only
> 		the two hosts above participate - notably
> 		without using a service on a public IP host elsewhere

Both Bonjour and UPnP provide existing mechanisms to learn your
public IP address.  Depending on how they're implemented, they
can even work in a nested NAT scenario like:

  [host]--[NAT]--[NAT]-----[Internet]

NSIS provides another technique to learn your public IP address.

> 		STUN servers must reside on the public Internet
> 		to determine the public address of a NAT'd host

Yes, a STUN server on the Internet is the technique described
by ICE.  STUN is the only existing IETF protocol to learn
your public IP address.  NSIS isn't yet ready and Bonjour's
NAT-PMP and UPnP aren't IETF protocols.

A STUN server could be integrated with your NAT device, of
course, and provide the same information as a public STUN
server.  This could also be implemented to work in a nested
NAT scenario like I diagrammed above, as well.

> 	- the hosts rendezvous
> 		that works only if both hosts know they want
> 		to talk with each other. when both are behind
> 		a NAT, that means a registry on a public server
> 		is required.

Publicly-accessible server.  The server could, itself, be behind
a NAT, so long as it had some way of learning its public IP address
and publishing its public IP address and port.

> ICE is one protocol for doing that,
> 		but it still requires a public server somewhere
> 		(i.e., the TURN server)

ICE does not require a TURN server.

A TURN server's only function is to relay UDP media, and is
only necessary if the NAT implementation creates a new UDP
binding when the host communicates to a new remote host (such
behavior is called 'symmetric NAT' in RFC3489.  The behavior
makes it impossible to rendezvous on the UDP port you learned
via STUN.  Bonjour- and UPnP-learned addresses wouldn't suffer
from this problem.)

> You're quoting are two protocols that solve the trivial case; the
> problematic case is when you have NEITHER STUN or TURN servers on the
> public Internet available.

TURN isn't needed unless the NAT's implementation is defective.

If you don't want to hit a public STUN server such as stun-server.org,
you would have to use UPnP, Bonjour, or buy a NAT with a STUN server
built in.

-d