[e2e] 0% NAT - checkmating the disconnectors

David Andersen dga+ at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Feb 22 09:46:04 PST 2006

On Feb 22, 2006, at 12:20 PM, David P. Reed wrote:

> Does anyone have any good thoughts on how to collectively create
> the next generation *Inter* Net - one that actually provides the
> interoperability that all of us old codgers dreamed was possible
> when Licklider, Taylor, Englebart, etc. first imagined it and Vint
> Cerf and Bob Kahn made it happen?

Yes.

But we're all writing FIND proposals about the ideas.  I'll follow up
on this in a week and a half, if I remember or am prodded appropriately.

> It seems that the action will be in creating a pervasive, and easy-
> to-adopt flexible, secure and resilient overlay.   One where the
> bad boy "gunslingers" who offer "protection" on behalf of our
> employers and governments can't scare the kiddies off the streets,
> and allow us to take back the Internet.

I hear overlays are overrated.

> None of this garbage is being thought through critically in terms
> of its global impact - instead it's being piled in heaps and gobs
> all throughout the network.
>
> Who speaks for connectivity?   Who speaks for openness?   Fewer and
> fewer, it seems.

Try:

   http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dga/ngsi.pdf

It'ss a one-page (ish) position paper I scribbled up for the NSF next
generation secure internet workshop that was held at CMU some time
last year.  It's drafty, probably poorly thought out, and wasn't
really intended for wide dissemination -- but I believe pretty
strongly in what it says.

Caveat:  It has no answers, only questions, and a couple of
philosophical design requirements about not breaking the beautiful
things about today's Internet.  I'll start tossing answers at you
next week.

   -Dave