[e2e] 0% NAT - checkmating the disconnectors

Lynne Jolitz lynne at telemuse.net
Thu Feb 23 15:50:48 PST 2006

Vadim,
You are so correct here. The social issues of the Internet and developers make them terribly insecure about refining a concept or package of software with the technique of minimalism. And so they tend to jump to reductionism as a means to avoiding ridicule and social pressure.

And as the Internet becomes more and more the metaphor through which we all appear, this
fear of ridicule will result in less and less challenging work and more and more variations on the same theme - kind of like the way Hollywood mimics a success so that everything becomes a "reality TV" show or a "Desparate Housewives" sequel for a season.

You might find this article on CNET of interest entitled "Misplaced Software Priorities": http://news.com.com/Misplaced+software+priorities/2010-1007_3-5745970.html

It speaks to your concerns. Lynne Jolitz

PS - NAT is an economic issue. As long as a v4 static address has a market value of $20-$40 per month retail on top of basic connectivity for small business / home, nobody will want to pay for more than one (if even they get one), much less one per server. The exception is Japan with IPv6 cellphones with throwaway IP addresses. In this case, there was no economic incentive for NAT. It all comes down to money out of pocket. The security and other issues can be dealt with in many different ways. -lgj

----
We use SpamQuiz.
If your ISP didn't make the grade try http://lynne.telemuse.net