[e2e] tcp connection timeout

sampad mishra sampad_m at rediffmail.com
Tue Feb 28 22:52:12 PST 2006

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 rick jones wrote :

>>>If both side don't send packets for a long time while connection is open, is there a default time out to abort the connection?

When TCP has not received a segment for more than one retransmission timeout(ie the idle time), cwnd is reduced to the value of the restart window (RW) before. RW = min(IW, cwnd) . IW, the initial value of cwnd, MUST be less than or equal to 2*SMSS bytes and MUST NOT be more than 2 segments.

Refer "rfc-2581"

Regards,
Sampad Mishra,
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.