[e2e] Performance evaluation of high speed TCPs

Saverio Mascolo mascolo at poliba.it
Tue Jan 17 08:18:53 PST 2006

hi,

we have shown effect of reverse traffic on TCP Vegas, New Reno and Westwood+
in an ACM CCR paper (april 2004)
you can find here:
http://193.204.59.68/mascolo/tcp%20westwood/ccr_v31.pdf

historically we were "forced" to look at reverse traffic because congestion
on the ack path (and ack compression)  was provoking bad behaviour of
Westwood TCP, which is also shown in the paper above. the reason was
bandwidth overestimate because we were computing bandwdith samples every ack
and smaples were aliased (see
http://193.204.59.68/mascolo/recent_papers/Grieco_Mascolo_3621_QoSIP03.pdf )

other result was that  Vegas TCP is heavily affected by reverse traffic
because of queuing on reverse path. similar sensitivity to reverse traffic
have been found with FAST TCP in a paper appearing at pfldnet06 and also in
tests done by les cottrel.

best,
saverio