[e2e] DDoS attack vs. Spoofing of Source Address

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Thu Jan 19 16:43:23 PST 2006

Your first point is valid, but yet we see spoofing in the network -
less than a while back, but still a lot. Ingress Filtering has value
in limiting spoofing, and while yes it helps the customers of other
networks, it also helps the customers of my network, which I will
argue is my incentive to deploy it. In limiting spoofing, I partially
mitigate certain classes of attacks as close to their source as I can
put it.

Note that managing ddos attacks is never a matter of applying one
golden tool and suddenly they all go away; rather, we identify high
percentage solutions to specific attacks ("gee, this ddos seems to be
a whole lot of folks starting to download the home page and then
going away; lets change the URL of the web page and reply to the
download request with a simple response that redirects the requester
to it. Maybe the bogons won't follow.") and apply them.

I don't see people focusing on spoofing per se. I do see them using
anti-spoof measures as one of the armaments in their arsenal.