[e2e] Redirection-Based Flooding Attacks (was Re: DDoS attack vs.Spoofing of Source Address)

Christian Vogt chvogt at tm.uka.de
Tue Jan 31 23:07:56 PST 2006

Detlef,

the attacker would have to send TCP acknowledgments in order to make
the TCP sender assume that the packets go to the right IP address.  If
the mobility protocol allows only for a single address' registration,
the TCP acknowledgments have to be spoofed.

However, there are also protocols that allow a "mobile" or "multi-homed"
node to register multiple addresses in parallel.  In case the attacker
uses such a protocol, it can send TCP acknowledgments from its own IP
address and have the TCP sender ship its data segments to the victim's
address.  The Host Identity Protocol and, by definition, all
multi-homing protocols (see, e.g., IETF's Shim working group) have this
"multi-address" property.

But there is actually another mechanism that can prevent such
redirection-based flooding attacks:  The victim does not know what to do
with the received TCP segments, hence it will send an RST segment and
cause the TCP sender to stop.

In case you use a different transport protocol than TCP, ICMP Port
Unreachable messages would typically be used instead.

A RST segment's sequence number must fit into the TCP sender's receive
window, otherwise the RST segment will be discarded.  As Mark Doll
mentioned in a private discussion, the attacker could exploit this by
advancing the TCP sender's receive window fast enough so that the
victim's RST segments won't have an effect.  This is even
easier for the attacker if the TCP sender implements the mechanisms
specified in [1].  (The attacker would have to send data packets for
this, however.)

[1] draft-ietf-tcpm-tcpsecure-03.txt

- Christian

--
Christian Vogt, Institute of Telematics, Universitaet Karlsruhe (TH)
www.tm.uka.de/~chvogt/pubkey/