[e2e] fast restoration/protection

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Thu Jun 15 12:45:59 PDT 2006

Hi Oliver:

I think you misunderstand the tenor of my note.

Regarding FIBS, my proposal was to compute multiple FIBs (not preserve
old ones) as routing updates came in, based on a history of the kinds
of outages that had occurred (e.g. which links seemed to fail most
often).  Then test (using outage information) how well the computed
backup FIBs would have done.  Pure research question of whether keeping
a limited set of FIBs around as backups (in the optimal case -- not
storing old ones but computing new ones) would work.

As for multiple FIBs in a line card.  Yes, it means more memory and,
in some cases it is perfectly feasible (been there, done that, as have
others).  But my broader point is that we should not treat the FIB
per-entry update time in a Cisco 12K as indicative of the kind of
solutions we should pick.  Rather, I'd argue, we should find our
solutions and then see what those solutions require of the hardware
(and whether that's feasible...).  Cisco FIBs exist the way they do
because of certain (well considered) expectations on the part of
Cisco engineers -- but we're playing here with changing expectations.

Thanks!

Craig