[e2e] queuing/dropping algorithms *actually* deployed

mbgreen@dsl.cis.upenn.edu mbgreen at dsl.cis.upenn.edu
Wed Jun 21 14:18:07 PDT 2006

A colleague who wanted to do some formal model checking and formal
performance analysis on an application-level protocol going through a
router, asked me what algorithms are used in currently deployed
routers in the Internet.  (Looking for an accurate model of packet
drops when this protocol was running alongside many flows of the same
protocol, as well as both congestion aware *and* inelastic
bad-behaving flows).

I realized that I had no idea what to tell him.  In what
fraction of routers is RED turned on and used these days?  Is some
sort of fairness or QoS preserved in a measurable fraction of routers?
Scheduling?  10 or 15 years ago I guess I could have safely said
queues are almost all FIFO and drop-tail controls when packets are
dropped and basically nothing else is relevant in a formal model.

Today I have no idea.  Is there some web site somewhere that can give
me this information?  Is e2e the right place to ask this question ---
if not, then where? [and, in that case, my apologies for sending it
here]

Thanks in advance for any pointers.