[e2e] tcp connection timeout

Vadim Antonov avg at kotovnik.com
Fri Mar 3 12:02:40 PST 2006

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, Joe Touch wrote:

> Vadim Antonov wrote:
> > On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, Joe Touch wrote:
> >
> >> Please explain the 20MB case.
> >>
> >> AFAICT, that only happens when the receiver window is 20MB, AND:
> >
> > TCP state is not the only state kept around when a connection is open.
> >
> > I thought that it was obvious that I meant the user-space state.
> >
> > --vadim
>
> Wouldn't that be the user-space (application-layer)'s decision then?

It does not matter whose decision it is as long as you have a way of
purging it for dead connections.  It was merely a counter-argument to the
assertion that dead connections are "cheap". There are numerous cases when
they are not.

I think it is always a good idea to look at the whole picture, because
concentrating on one layer is bound to mislead.

--vadim