[e2e] Since we're already learning TCP fundamentals...

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Sun Mar 12 19:50:25 PST 2006

You are confusing a segment with a record.  You meant to ask,
why doesn't TCP count records?  (A segment is just another
name for a TCP packet; the sender is free to packetize any way it
pleases, so the count of segments has no significance.)

One simple answer to counting records is: because
if you count records, the protocol has to negotiate record sizes.
That is an extra mechanism.

Bob Braden