[e2e] HTTP Compliance w/ e2e principles?

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 22 22:57:20 PST 2006

I believe I have found a flaw in all the implementations of HTTP GET - its clear that leaving the
content behind at the server means that most HTTP protocol implementaitons are actrually implementing an
HTTP copy. This has legal as well as technical consequences (especialy in countries where fair re-use is not
permitted, suchas the UK) - I believe that we must now implement HTTP GET properly - It turns out that on one of my
research projects I have got 56K pounds which I can use for equipment, and I propose to implement what I call
Hype Text Transport Physically GET - I will hire a removal man, and whenever I type a URL at _my_ browser
implementaiton, this will give him a dispatch order - he will forthwith go to the lat-long site associated with the
server, identify the machine with the disks and so forth, and bring it to me.

This also has the added bonus that It saves powr (in fact i wont need disks on my client side at all), and that if
one wants to implement a distributed +update+ protocol for the web, concurrency control is enforced by strict
locks.

I've been talking to the royal mail about implementing HTTP POST correctly too, but they don't take me seriously.
I'm guessing they see this as potential competition with amazon or netflix or something...

j.