[e2e] tunnels with only one end point specified.

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Thu May 11 08:22:47 PDT 2006

Jon Crowcroft wrote:
> so has anyone considered how you might design an ip tunnel
> system with only having to specify ONE end point of the tunnel
> motivation: the
> big problem with tunnels is that you have to nail TWO ends
> which means you need a lot of prior agreement, and as we know,
> distributred agreement is NP hard (neocon-politically hard)

The issue is that the other end needs to know the encased header is
coming, otherwise it can - and should - treat it transparently.

I.e., tunnels work exactly because of the controlled difference between:

	- those who don't know transparently forward

	- those who know decapsulate

You can setup nodes that decapsulate everything, but that needs to be
setup in advance (back where you started).

> so how about tunnels where the encapsulating header uses an ANY CAST
> address for one end (either - nearest, or furthest)?

Sure - please start by showing anycast that provides that capability
with a regular packet. Then program it to decapsulate everything. Done ;-)