[e2e] tunnels with only one end point specified.

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Thu May 11 10:43:05 PDT 2006

alessandro salvatori wrote:
> On 5/11/06, Joe Touch <touch at isi.edu> wrote:
>> alessandro salvatori wrote:
>> >
>> > i disagree. for the "nearest" case, it would be enough to allocate a
>> > flag that tells "decapsulate me, if you can"
>>
>> For any case such a flag would be useful, but if the flag passes through
>> more than one such node, it'd decapsulate there.
>
> it wouldn't pass through more than one such node, as the first one
> would decapsulate the inner datagram. the flag is in the envelope
> header, once the inner datagram is decapsulated the flag is not there
> any more.

Yes - but the trick is which one? How does the node know it's the
nearest, or is the definition of nearest "the first node with this
anycast address"?

If so, tunneling to the nearest anything seems to defeat the goal of
most tunnels...

Joe