[e2e] tunnels with only one end point specified.

Simon Leinen simon at limmat.switch.ch
Fri May 12 03:52:57 PDT 2006

Jon Crowcroft writes:
> so how about tunnels where the encapsulating header uses an ANY CAST
> address for one end (either - nearest, or furthest)?

I think RFC 3068, "An Anycast Prefix for 6to4 Relay Routers" already
works this way using a global well-known anycast address for the
Internet-side end.  There are both globally-visible and ISP-internal
instances of that tunnel endpoint.

For return traffic, the (well-known) tunnel endpoint extracts the
outer (IPv4) destination address from the inner (IPv6) destination
address.
--
Simon.