[e2e] signaling performance on TCP

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Tue May 16 04:14:11 PDT 2006

I don't see why SCTP would fare one iota different than TCP. In
context, they have essentially equivalent message exchange. SIP on
UDP would do it in less RTTs, in that there would be no SYN/SYN-ACK
or FIN/FIN-ACK. I think the real difference there is debateable, though.

Allocating excess capacity to a signaling channel and putting SIP
into it basically allows SIP to bypass queues that form around file
transfers. Personally, I think this is a good thing, and RFC 4542
supports it.