[e2e] trading acks...TRACKS

Christian Kreibich christian.kreibich at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Nov 27 23:44:24 PST 2006

Hi Detlef,

On Sat, 2006-11-25 at 17:49 +0100, Detlef Bosau wrote:
> just a very spontaneous, perhaps stupid, question: What is the
> difference between "packet symmetry" and the well known principle of
> packet conservation here? Aren´t these ideas at least quite similar?

the packet conservation principle states that in a steady-state TCP
flow, a new packet is not to enter the network before another one has
left -- this is *much* more rigid than what we frame, both in terms of
enforcement as well as flow granularity. We are considering a variety of
flow granularities, don't necessarily care about TCP at all, and are
happy to permit short-lived bursts of packets as long as the source
remains "well-tempered" overall.

--
Cheers,
Christian.