[e2e] Are Packet Trains / Packet Bursts a Problem in TCP?

rick jones perfgeek at mac.com
Sun Oct 1 09:50:48 PDT 2006

> Especially in the case of TSO, there's close to zero benefit to
> sending TSO segments that are longer than 1ms of bottleneck wire time,
> as the TCP processing load for that packet rate is going to be well
> under 0.1% on a modern machine.

The time-of-burst sounds intriguing - what has me worried though - in
the abstract, not necessarily this specific - is the last part of that
sentence - it seems that very often arguments are made about how
something is presently or will be soon a very low percentage of CPU on
a modern machine - for a single connection and/or single NIC...

> At GigE speeds, I haven't seen in practice that a 64k burst (about
> 0.5ms) is ever a problem.

Nor I.

rick jones
there is no rest for the wicked, yet the virtuous have no pillows