[e2e] performance of BIC-TCP, High-Speed-TCP, H-TCP etc

Douglas Leith doug.leith at nuim.ie
Fri Sep 22 23:34:56 PDT 2006

I suggest you take a closer look Injong - there is a whole page of data
from tests covering a wide range of levels of background traffic.  These
results are all new, and significantly strengthen the conclusions I
think, as is the expanded explanatory discussion of the observed
behaviour of the various algorithms (the result of a fair bit of
detective work of course).  Your claim that "Your report mostly ignores
the effect of background traffic" is simply not true.

I can't really comment on your own tests without more information,
although I can say that we went to a good bit of trouble to make sure
our results were consistent and reproducible - in fact all our reported
results are from at least five, and usually more, runs of each test.  We
were also careful to control for differences in kernel implementation so
that we compare congestion control algorithms rather than other aspects
of the network stack implementation.  All of this is documented in the
paper.  The kernel we used is available on the web.  Our measurements
are also publicly available - the best way forward might be to pick one
or two tests and compare results of them in detail with a view to
diagnosing the source of any differences.

General comments such as "our experience tells that the RTT variations
of mid size flows play a very important role in creating significant
dynamics in testing environments" are not too helpful.  What do you mean
by a "mid-sized flow" ?  What do you mean by "significant dynamics" ?
What do you mean by "important role" - is this quantified ?  Best to
stick to science rather than grandstanding.  This is especially true
when dealing with a sensitive subject such as the evaluation of
competing algorithms.

Re FAST, we have of course discussed our results with the Caltech folks.
  As stated in the paper, some of the observed behaviour seems to be
associated with the alpha tuning algorithm.  Other behaviour seems to be
associated with packet burst effects that have also been reported
independently by the Caltech folks.  Similar results to ours have since
been observed by other groups I believe.  Perhaps differences between
our results point to some issue in your testbed setup.

Doug