[e2e] Are Packet Trains / Packet Bursts a Problem in TCP?

Sireen Malik sireenmalik at ieee.org
Tue Sep 26 11:39:57 PDT 2006

Detelf,

> At least when burstiness becomes an issue, I believe its easier to
> avoid burstiness, or to alleviate, when we know the reasons for
> burstiness.

A few pointers....

Web-pages have large variance - enough to start another discussion of
heavy-tailed distributions ;-) This is one source of burstiness. Hard to
cure! Or, is it?

TCP is bursty, too. It's like an on-off source: A bunch of packets are
sent in a window in the on-phase, etc. People ahve argued about
"shaping" TCP packet generation process to address this burstiness at
small time scales. Look for Biplab Sikdar paper from this century. My
ex-colleague at TUHH Dirk Abendroth also did a take on this.

Mark Crovella, et. al showed that under heavy loss conditions, TCP
causes pseduo self-similarity.

Hope that helps,

--
SM