[e2e] iBGP session break

Saqib Ilyas msaqibilyas74 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 11 00:32:37 PDT 2007

Greetings everyone
  My question is: Is it possible for an iBGP session to break even when the underlying IP topology is not partitioned?
  We would expect that IGP maintains connectivity at the IP layer, and even in case of a failure in the network that doesnt partition the topology, the IGP should be able to quickly converge to a new configuration for paths between every possible pair of nodes. This should result in, perhaps, a few dropped TCP packets for the iBGP session, but not a session break. Would it, then still be possible for an iBGP session to break and blackholes to consequently result?
  Regards

Muhammad Saqib Ilyas
Assistant Professor
Department of Computer and Information Systems Engineering
NED University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi, Pakistan
http://www.saqibilyas.info
Graduate Student, LUMS
Country Leader, INETA Pakistan
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - C++