[e2e] Timeouts in ARQ / RLP

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Fri Apr 27 17:04:01 PDT 2007

I´m curious whether we need timeouts in ARQ. I´m not quite sure about
RLPv3, I have to re-read the details.
But IIRC, RLPv3 needs timeouts to detect lost NAKs / retransmits.

In a pure stop´n wait scenario, using timeouts may be appropriate,
because the round trip time for a sending attempt and the appropriate
ACK is pretty well known und subject only to little changes.

In sliding window scenarios with extensive queueing, the situation is
more complicated. In addition, it is pretty well accepted, that loss
detection using timeouts should be avoided if ever possible.

So, does anybody happen to know the state of the art in RLP / ARQ?

Thanks a lot!

Detlef