[e2e] opening multiple TCP connections getting popular

Bob Briscoe rbriscoe at jungle.bt.co.uk
Wed Aug 29 09:23:38 PDT 2007

e2e-interest folks,

This product is being very aggressively marketed:
<http://www.speedbit.com/video%5Faccelerator/>
It opens 10 HTTP/TCP connections to accelerate video downloads -
essentially using the well-known broken feature of TCP (see the I-D below)
to enable one user to compete more aggressively for the same bandwidth
against other users. But it flies below the limit of 10 concurrent half
open connections added to Windows XP SP2 - claimed to be added to slow down
worms but also limiting p2p filesharing clients.

Amazingly, these guys are approaching ISPs to re-sell this product - so
their customers will just be competing more aggressively with each other
and largely end up back where they started. It's worth reading the Business
Week article linked off the above page to see just how convincingly this is
being marketed - They fooled the technology assessment people in at least
one large ISP (mentioning no names).

If you're tempted to poke fun at all these people because they clearly
don't understand, I actually think we should be chastened ourselves. Why
shouldn't app-layer people expect the transport layer to correctly handle
fairness?

To quote the Internet Draft "Flow Rate Fairness: Dismantling a Religion"
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tsvarea-fair-02.pdf>
"...flow rate fairness isn't even capable of reasoning about questions
like, "How many flows is it fair to start between two endpoints? ...
...there will certainly be no solution until the networking community gets
its head out of the sand and understands how unrealistic its view is; and
how important this issue is--a conflict between the vested interests of
real businesses and real people."

King Cnut commanded the tide not to wash over him sitting on his throne on
the English beach, but at least when the experiment failed he humbly
accepted he was subject to greater powers, never wearing his crown again.
I'm worrying away at the IETF to work on a proper solution to the
TCP-fairness problem, rather than merely issuing the decree that RFC2616
HTTP/1.1 clients should observe a 2 connection limit to each server.

Bob