[e2e] [SPAM] opening multiple TCP connections getting popular

Bob Briscoe rbriscoe at jungle.bt.co.uk
Thu Aug 30 07:27:52 PDT 2007

Jon,

I think you've jumped to the conclusion I'm saying mulitple TCPs is a
problem. I'm not saying that at all - I positively encourage it (in my
paper cited in my posting I positively ref your paper on MulTCP) because w
TCPs still respond to congestion... But I would only encourage it IFF
there's some accountability framework to prevent everyone setting w ->
infinity.

The posting was criticising those (ie those suffering from the TCP
delusion) who say we don't need accountability for the volume of congestion
different people cause, because they say TCP shares out capacity fairly.

more inline...

At 19:54 29/08/2007, Jon Crowcroft wrote:
>I agree
>
>I dont really see the new problem, or any problem at all -
>
>every day I have an SSH session, a remote file system mounted and two
>different browsers
>- so i have lots of TCP connections mostly from one site to another site,
>albeit
>to possibly slightly different machnes (although often all via the ssh
>tunnel, so
>via th e same end point)
>
>the point is that, like topological DDoS attacks, the crucial point is
>what share
>ot the bottleneck piint in the net I get - since in my caser the
>bottleneck is a
>20Mbps DSL line I pay for, i see it is fair, and agnostic of me t, to run
>as many
>or few TCP conenctions as I choose over my (I bought it) dsl line, and I
>see the
>access ISPs right to choke the line if they have a problem - it is way
>below the
>IP or TCP level and is to do with traffic engineering in general how thee
>trade
>off between my use of capacity and the service provider's offering of capacity
>are matched - tcp is not about resource allocation, it is about congestion
>control which is about avoiding probklems when they arise, not about normal
>operational cake-slicing imho.

1/ This isn't just an issue between a user and her local ISP. Shifting the
focus from your personal DSL use (which is probably to an over-provisioned
academic campus at the other end), a typical filesharing user is just as
likely to be hitting a bottleneck in another ISP's backhaul (or bottlenecks
in both local and remote backhauls).

Even if her bottleneck is remote, I'd still like her to be able to behave
like w TCPs, but we need a simple accountability framework that allows her
own ISP to choke her if she causes excessive congestion, whether the
bottleneck is local or remote (which, as you know, is what I've proposed).

I think we're agreeing (modulo the misunderstanding about what I was saying
the problem was).

2/ If everyone was trying to fill their access link with TCPs (or MulTCP)
continuously, the bottlenecks would nearly always NOT be their own lines,
no matter how carefully they spread out the traffic. This is in fact close
to the current situation - even without everyone participating in p2p
filesharing, bottlenecks have already moved out of the lines into the backhaul.

So I'd question your assertion that the norm is that you can do what you
want within your line limit, and the exception is the ISP should be able to
throttle you. Contention is the norm (which I'm sure your contract makes
clear). So we need a way to do resource allocation. Yes, TCP is not the
answer to this question. But a simple accountability framework that allows
users to choose w TCPs AND gives them a reason for not setting w to
infinity *is* needed.

Are we actually agreed on that too?

Bob