[e2e] Delays / service times / delivery times in wireless networks.

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Wed Feb 21 05:45:01 PST 2007

The delays come from buffering and retrying for long times, on the basic
theory that the underlying network is trying to be "smart" and guarantee
delivery in the face of congestion or errors.   A decade ago this same
issue came up running TCP over Frame Relay networks that were willing to
buffer a minute or more's worth of traffic when congested if asked to do
"reliable delivery".

Who could say no to such a wonderful feature in the network?   *Reliable
Delivery*, wow, I want to build that in at the lowest layer, under IP
(putting QoS in the lowest network layers is always good, as those who
think the end-to-end argument is a religion keep saying).   Of course
the real meaning of that is "reliable delivery no matter how long it
takes" so like certain countries' mail delivery, you could get your
piece of mail after 10 years of sitting in a bin in some warehouse, but
no one ever would throw out a single piece of mail (other countries
mail service does that).

Once the folks who ran IP networks over frame relay realized that you
should never provision reliable delivery if you were running IP, this
stopped happening.

So the story is that GPRS can, if it tries to provide QoS in the form of
never dropping a frame, screw up TCP.

But this has nothing to do with mobility per se.   It has to do with
GPRS, just as the old problems had to do with Frame Relay, not with high
speed data.   The architecture of the GPRS network is too smart.