[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Tue Jan 2 20:38:05 PST 2007

Ian McDonald wrote:
>> use

>> > And ABC is now off by default on even later kernels as basically the
>> > congestion window didn't grow with how the whole code base interacted.
>>
>> That's not how "experimental" is intended by the IETF, i.e., it's not a
>> patch to other bugs.
>>
> I understand that since I'm working on an experimental protocol myself.
>
> I'm only the messenger here. As I understand it (and I could be wrong)
> Linux deals with the cases fairly well that ABC is trying to solve. To
> get ABC into the kernel by default some of the other code would have
> to be changed and nobody has done that yet. If someone does that and
> can convince others it can go back in..

ABC should NOT be "ON" by default.

As to whether it should be in the kernel at all, or how it interacts
with the code base, that's an implementation issue. I appreciate the
complexities, but the decision of whether to use it or not should be
made solely on whether it is recommended for widescale deployment or not.

Thanks for the update; it's worrisome that Linux's defaults are that
ephemeral, though.

Joe Touch
Sr. Network Engineer, USAF TSAT Space Segment