[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

Agarwal, Anil Anil.Agarwal at viasat.com
Wed Jan 3 13:14:20 PST 2007

Joe at al,

To add to this discussion, I just did a few quick tests with a Linux 2.6.18 TCP stack over an (emulated) satellite link.
Here are my observations, based on analyzing the packet trace -

1. The sender starts with an initial cwnd of 3 segments, 1448 bytes each (1448 = 1500 - 40 bytes TCP/IPv4 hdr - 12 bytes TCP timestamp option).
2. The receiver acks every segment for the first 32 kbytes of received data; subsequently, it acks every other segment (delayed ack).
3. The sender increases cwnd by 1 segment for every ack (ABC is not used).

The cwnd values are as follows -
  Round cwnd
   1        3 segments
   2        6
   3        10     - for some reason, the sender does not increase cwnd by 6 in this round
   4        16     - the 32 kbyte threshold is crossed in this round, so the cwnd increase rate halves

These are close to the values described by Detlef.

A 50 kbyte transfer finishes in 5 RTTs (including one for the SYN exchange).

A quick test on a Sun Solaris 5.8 machine shows the 50 kbyte transfer take 7 RTTs, which is consistent with an implementation that always uses delayed acks.

Questions:
1. Is this what the Linux TCP stack implementors intended? Is this documented somewhere?
2. Does this violate any IETF TCP principle, in letter or spirit? It seems to have an (unfair) advantage over TCP implementations that always perform delayed ack.

Anil

Anil Agarwal
ViaSat Inc.
Germantown, MD