[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Wed Jan 3 16:36:01 PST 2007

Lloyd Wood wrote:
> At Wednesday 03/01/2007 14:46 -0800, Joe Touch wrote:
>>> The point is that if *everyone* used QuickACKs, short transfers would
>>> be faster, with almost no harm done to long flows.
>> If you believe that's true, please present some verification. An
>> implementation based on an assertion is insufficient.
>
> And yet everyone is expected to implement based on the simple MUST
> and SHOULD assertions in RFCs, given without explanation.
>
> Which is, as you say, insufficient.

It should be insufficient to get those words into an RFC without
evidence that they are appropriate. RFCs are neither the sole nor
necessarily the appropriate place for that information; they can and
should cite published work that validates their claims. Whether we
should trust the IETF to do that is independent of whether we should
ignore them solely for the benefit of individual performance.

Joe

Joe Touch
Sr. Network Engineer, USAF TSAT Space Segment