[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Wed Jan 3 16:44:03 PST 2007

Lloyd Wood wrote:
> At Wednesday 03/01/2007 15:51 -0800, Joe Touch wrote:
>> Reasonable conditions do not include "it makes *us* go faster"; the
>> include things like "this implementation is to be deployed in a limited
>> environment that is overwhelmingly satellite-oriented" - e.g., if
>> DirectPC were to use a variant for proxy traffic to its home routers
>> that overrode SHOULDs for those reasons, that'd be non-buggy.
>
> So, if we're DirecPC, overriding SHOULDs can make us go faster.

Yes, but they would not impact others, i.e., their impact would be local
to DirectPC's infrastructure.

> Do these semantic wranglings actually have a point?

The question is "under what conditions is it permissible to override a
SHOULD". I would hope that would be clarified in an update to 2119, but
don't know what the state of that doc is...

Joe

Joe Touch
Sr. Network Engineer, USAF TSAT Space Segment