[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

Ian McDonald ian.mcdonald at jandi.co.nz
Wed Jan 3 23:54:14 PST 2007

> One would like to think that the last category should require some care and
> a rigorous process. Is this process not documented or well understood?
> Surely, it cannot be - implement, deploy, publish paper and write RFC :).
> What role should the IETF play in this process? Advisory only?

You'll find that Linux is probably the most RFC compliant
implementation of TCP. However Linux isn't perfect and the developers
do as they want.

I think the bigger issue is that there are academics in one corner and
implementors in another and usually they are not the same people and
often don't even talk to each other. Linux is a meritocracy so if
people from this list were to go over to the netdev mailing list and
make a reasonable argument then it will get listened to.

Ian
--
Web: http://wand.net.nz/~iam4
Blog: http://imcdnzl.blogspot.com