[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Thu Jan 4 06:39:11 PST 2007

Ian McDonald wrote:
> On 1/4/07, Joe Touch <touch at isi.edu> wrote:
>> Nefarious motives are not the issue. The SHOULD currently stands, and it
>> is Linux's default that should be changed first.
>
> If you think Linux has a problem here post it to
> netdev at vger.kernel.org and say what is wrong and why. Even better if
> it comes with patches.

That's a convenient way to ensure that the problem doesn't get fixed.
Participating in the IETF is not a full-time job, and going around to
every OS's specific discussion venue to make the case to fix a bug - or
demanding that we fix it - confuses this body with a free, evangelical
repair service, which it is not.

I've made the case that this is a problem here, on this list. We can
take that discussion to the TSVWG mailing list if desired.

Yhe next step in the IETF process - given others agree this is a bug and
it does not get fixed by the *Linux community* (no, we're not all part
of that) - would be to add this to an update to RFC 2525. If others
decide that this should be a change to all TCPs, then the next step
would be to propose it as a change in an I-D.

Joe

Joe Touch
Sr. Network Engineer, USAF TSAT Space Segment