[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

rick jones perfgeek at mac.com
Thu Jan 4 19:30:44 PST 2007

earlier someone wrote:

 > I would even go so far as to suggest that we should drop ACKs which
do not
 > fall on packetization boundaries.

that suggests one is tracking segmentation boundaries, in which case
wouldn't one be using conservation of packets heuristics rather than
conservation of bytes heuristics - packet counting rather than byte
counting?

[istr that was part of the issue when Linux tried to implement the
byte-counting ABC RFC in their packet counting stack...]

The someone else wrote:

> Interesting suggstion.  Would TSO be a problem?  You'd have to make
> sure that the card never got "creative" and put the boundaries where
> we don't expect.

Indeed.

rickjones
there is no rest for the wicked, yet the virtuous have no pillows