[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

Lynne Jolitz lynne at telemuse.net
Fri Jan 5 14:19:20 PST 2007

Good luck, but realize that "linux" is not a monolithic group like BSD was. There are many variations on the theme - some very responsive (and well-backed) and others running more hand-to-mouth. Once the genie is out of the bottle, expect a long relaxation time wrt issues in implementation.

Joe is right in his annoyance at the lack of testing and communication given the widespread deployment of linux and windows. It is irresponsible to put out a poorly thought networking change that could potentially and unwittingly cause severe congestion and unfairness.

But it has been clear for at least a decade that the slower implement / test / prove / deploy cycle no longer is acceptable - not just because it is too slow or costly but because any delay in the release of any code, worthy or not, makes the releaser look like he's bogarting on the rest of the open source community.

The days where IETF RFCs and tested releases were done by many of the same people are long gone. If it's important enough, perhaps it's time to take on the responsibility for correctness of operating systems and networking implementations within an accredited organization and certify such.

But if it's not worth the time and effort for the academic side to take on this charge, the marketplace will have to serve instead.

Lynne Jolitz

----
We use SpamQuiz.
If your ISP didn't make the grade try http://lynne.telemuse.net