[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

Lynne Jolitz lynne at telemuse.net
Sat Jan 6 15:06:34 PST 2007

Yes, Greg. You're right. Buy-in is difficult to achieve and maintain, especially in open source. As I also went on to say in that same email you quote:
"But if it's not worth the time and effort for the academic side to take on this charge, the marketplace will have to serve instead."

People are very good at finding reasons to justify inaction on their part, and it is frustrating to even try for something better. That takes vision and risk.

If one were to set up such an arrangement with any eye towards the long-term, wouldn't it be wise to find an approach that would bring in parties and allow them to all benefit from an accord? Isn't it in the best interests of OS and networking developers, academics, and scientists to make sure things work well?

But that would require people to reach out to others, put skin in the game, and take a risk. It requires trust and mutual respect. It's much easier to complain and expect someone else to do the work. And it's much easier to ignore complaints because there is too much work to do already.

And that's why the marketplace is the default. It's not the best solution, but it is a solution.

Lynne Jolitz.

----
We use SpamQuiz.
If your ISP didn't make the grade try http://lynne.telemuse.net