[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

Agarwal, Anil Anil.Agarwal at viasat.com
Sun Jan 7 10:39:47 PST 2007

Joe Touch wrote -
>>> FYI,Internet MSS's are usually in the 500-byte range in general. A
>>> 5KB file would take 10 packets and be over by the 4th round.
>>
>> Um, the Internet MSS is usually 1460 bytes, except where it is hacked
>> to between 1300 and 1400 bytes to avoid issues with broken Path MTU
>> Detection in the presence of links with an MTU slightly smaller than
>> 1500 (mostly ADSL links).
>>
>> Packets around 500 bytes have become quite rare on the Internet today.

> http://netweb.usc.edu/~rsinha/pkt-sizes/ <http://netweb.usc.edu/~rsinha/pkt-sizes/>
> http://tracer.csl.sony.co.jp/mawi/samplepoint-C/2005/200510250900.html <http://tracer.csl.sony.co.jp/mawi/samplepoint-C/2005/200510250900.html>

> 'better connected' sites show larger packet sizes (show in the USC
> traces), but that smaller packets are still used, and that the average
> size depends on the protocol (CSL traces).

Even though smaller packet sizes are observed on the net,
depending on protocol and application, that does not imply
that the MSS or path MTU is small. Some applications simply send small
amounts of data, at a time (telnet, http GETs, etc).
I suspect, MSS is of the order of 1300-1460 bytes,
even in these traces.

Regards,
Anil