[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Mon Jan 8 11:33:45 PST 2007

>The question is "under what conditions is it permissible to override a
>SHOULD". I would hope that would be clarified in an update to 2119, but
>don't know what the state of that doc is...
>
>Joe

In its original usage in RFC 1122-1123, SHOULD was applied where we could
imagine relatively unusual or extreme conditions where the MUST might not
apply.  But the intent was that anyone who overrode a SHOULD ought to
be able to present a credible argument to his/her peers to justify this
deviation.  In other words, you had better have a "DAMNED GOOD" (technical
term) reason for it.

Bob Braden