[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Mon Jan 8 23:50:42 PST 2007

Vadim Antonov wrote:
>> nt _does_ exist.
>>

> Ah, you don't understand I said - namely that fairness enforcement should
> be done in the network, and not by the software in end hosts.
>
> Besides, TCP is not fair.  For example, long-RTT flows always lose to
> short-RTT flows in non-stationary (i.e. real-life) scenarios.

Please read my comments on Dorgham Sisalem´s post yesterday.

That long-RTT flows lose to short-RTT flows results from the probing
scheme used in TCP: When a flow increases its window one segment per
round, a short RTT flow increases faster than a long RTT flow. However,
we must use some probing scheme and this probing scheme should be
adaptive to the path. And of course we have to take into account a
flow´s RTT for a probing scheme because we must take into account how
fast reactions of a network on probing will be visible.

WRT to leaving fairness to the network: I have no first hand experience
with ABR. But I think, Dorgham told us about the experiences here yesterday.

To make a long story short: I think it´s already said in the Twelve
Basic Network Truths but I think it´s generic:
There are always arbitrary much simple and wrong solutions to complex
prolblems :-)

BTW: Just a pointer to literature: For a network based congestion
control approach (hopefully I understood this work correctly) you should
read the PhD thesis by Srinivasan Keshav. IIRC this is some really
interesting work on ressource allocation in a complex network.

Detlef