[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Tue Jan 9 09:02:25 PST 2007

Lynne Jolitz wrote:
> But if it's not worth the time and effort for the academic side to
> take on this charge, the marketplace will have to serve instead.

It's not whether academics want to spend the time and effort. Many are
already giving it for projects they prefer (e.g., FreeBSD in my case);
others have none to give (note the dearth of academics on the IESG,
which requires letters of 80% support).

I.e., the effort of volunteers is subject to its own market as well.

However, the primary tension seems to be that:
	- standards bodies rely on emissaries from
	development communities

	- development communities rely on volunteers

This may appear to suggest that the two communities are competing for
volunteers, but that's not the case. We all *must* come together to work
on standards; the same is not true for particular OS's.

Joe

Joe Touch
Sr. Network Engineer, USAF TSAT Space Segment