[e2e] A simple scenario. (Basically the reason for the sliding window thread ; -))

David Borman david.borman at windriver.com
Thu Jan 11 09:11:43 PST 2007

Hi Detlef,

TCP does not provide any mechanism to tell that all the data has been
delivered to the application.  TCP can only tell you that all the
data has been received by the TCP at the remote end.  The application
itself on both ends of the connection will need to determine whether
or not all the relevant data has been received by the application.
That is really the only place where it can take place reliably.  For
example, even if TCP could let the other side know that the
application has read all the data, that doesn't mean that the
application has actually processed the data, or gotten it to stable
storage, or whatever else it is doing with the data.

TCP provides a reliable byte stream, it is up to the application to
decide how to use the data that is transferred over that stream.

			-David Borman