[e2e] A simple scenario. (Basically the reason for the sliding window thread ; -))

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Tue Jan 16 09:47:19 PST 2007

Agarwal, Anil wrote:

> Joe Touch wrote:
>> PS - this could also happen within a single CWND, e.g., if the network
>> path temporarily shifts around the TCP-splitter. It doesn't require an
>> entire window wrap to occur.
>
> Joe - I am not able to think of a scenario similar to what you
> describe above where a network with TCP-splitters causes
> undetected loss of data or delivery of incorrect data.
>
> I will appreciate if you can describe what you are thinking in
> some more detail.

The scenario I was thinking of is when the splitter ACKs the data, and
the source moves the window forward. In the meantime, the splitter has
not yet sent the data to the receiver, and goes down.

I'm not sure what would happen when the receiver has a hole in its
window and the sender lacks the data to resend. This may cause a lockup,
though wouldn't cause silent loss/corruption.

There's also the way in which different MSS's could cause similar
hiccups in congestion control.

Joe

Joe Touch
Sr. Network Engineer, USAF TSAT Space Segment