[e2e] A simple scenario. (Basically the reason for the sliding window thread ; -))

David Borman david.borman at windriver.com
Fri Jan 19 11:03:33 PST 2007

No, it's more than just Large Send Offload or Large Receive Offload.
That's done on a per-packet basis, without needing to keep much, if
any state.  In the scenario I'm citing the splitter is also changing
the window and the MSS option.  The remote host offers a (relatively)
small window, the splitter offers a much bigger (512K) window to the
host on the 64K MTU network (in addition to rewriting the MSS
option).  With the small delay*bandwith to the remote host, the
splitter has no trouble keeping the pipe full using standard ethernet
packets.  But if those packets went all the way to the 64K host
across the large delay*bandwidth 64KMTU network, there'd be a lot of
idle time waiting for window updates, and you get much lower
throughput from end-to-end.
			-David Borman