[e2e] A simple scenario. (Basically the reason for the sliding window thread ; -))

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Sun Jan 21 10:01:49 PST 2007

This device offloads processing on behalf of the endpoint. Such devices
can offload on a per-socketbuffer basis; this isn't much different,
except that it sends IP packets to the offloader.

Buffering serves two purposes: help a source with an insufficient buffer
for the BW*delay product, and help compensate for a receiver that can't
keep pace with a bunch of little packets.

The former helps only if you have an endpoint that can send relatively
fast, but has poor buffering.

The latter helps only if you have a receiver that can't keep pace with
lots of small packets.

Both point to broken implementations, and trade correctness for
performance. That's not how the rest of TCP is optimized. IMO, this
argues for a different transport protocol, not for these splitters.

Joe