[e2e] TCP and bi-directional traffic

Ihsan Qazi ihsanqazi at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 17:04:26 PST 2007

Hi everyone,

I have a question on which I would like to get some comments.

To what extent the current analytic models of TCP accurately capture the
(real) behaviour of TCP? Does there exist a body of work which analytically
characterizes the TCP latency and throughput taking into consideration the
effects of bi-directional traffic (factors like ACK Compression, reduced
forward path capacity due to the presence of ACKs etc) on TCP flows? I am
aware about some observational studies and some work related to mitigating
the effects of ACK Compression and asymmetric links (e.g. prioritizing ACKs,
applying backpressure, connection-level bandwidth allocation schemes etc)
but my question pertains to analytical work.

Thanks in advance.

Ihsan

--
Ihsan Ayyub Qazi
PhD Student, Department of Computer Science