[e2e] Analytic Model of Download Time as a Function of TCP ConnectTime

Cottrell, Les cottrell at slac.stanford.edu
Thu Jul 26 16:28:08 PDT 2007

The sounds a bit like an extnesion of "ITU-T Rec.G1040 "Network contribution to transaction time" <http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-G/recommendation.asp?lang=en&parent=T-REC-G.1040>  which calculates the network contribution to transaction time. The contribution depends on the RTT, loss probability (p), the Retransmission Time Out (RTO) and the number of round trips involved (n) in a transaction. The Network Contribution to Transation Time (NCTT) is given as:

Average(NCTT) = (n * RTT) + (p * n * RTO)

In our case (PingER) typical values for n are 8, for RTO we take 2.5 seconds, we take the RTT and loss probability (p) from the PingER measurements.  The main difference is that you seem to ignore the losses.