[e2e] Small packets - Definition needed..

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Fri Mar 23 07:20:20 PDT 2007

576 is a lovely number of octets.   I first encountered its loveliness
when I realized that it is 9 times 64.   Which means that all the
popular word sizes of computers divide it evenly.   Thus, you can
transmit packets that are composed of 72-bit, 36-bit, 64-bit, 32-bit,
24-bit, 18-bit, 16-bit, 12-bit, 8-bit, and 4-bit data arrays.

And RSA-576 is the second largest number factored in the RSA Factoring
Challenge (640, another number to be conjured with, was chosen by IBM
and Microsoft as the limiting size of the IBM PC architecture's memory,
and RSA-640 is the largest factored number in that challenge).

And it has many other numerological properties.   It is the sum of 2^6
and 2^9 octets.   69 is a wonderful reference (at least in English
speaking countries).

If you add the number 90 to it, it generates the biblical number we must
not refer to here.   If you subtract 80 from it, you get one of the
"perfect" numbers.   So it stands in the middle between perfectability
and evil.