[e2e] Small packets - Definition needed..

Arjuna Sathiaseelan arjuna at erg.abdn.ac.uk
Mon Mar 26 15:37:11 PDT 2007

Dear All, (CCing to the DCCP mailing list)

Thanks a lot for your replies.

>From the replies, I could see that its hard to generalize the definition of
small and large packets. My only worry is that that a proper consensus has
to be reached on deciding the definition of small packets as currently there
seems to be an ambiguity (from my point of view) in some of the drafts when
it comes to defining small packets. For example consider the TFRC-SP and
Faster Restart for TFRC drafts.

Draft 1) TFRC-SP says the following in the Introduction
("draft-ietf-dccp-tfrc-voip-07.txt", currently in the RFC Editor's
queue):

     "TFRC-SP is intended for flows that need to send frequent small
     packets, with less than 1500 bytes per packet, limited by a minimum
     interval between packets of 10 ms."

    "Applications that are not willing to be limited by a minimum
     interval of 10 ms. between packets, or that want to send packets
     larger than 1500 bytes, should not use TFRC-SP.  However, for
     applications with a minimum interval of at least 10 ms. between
     packets and with data packets of at most 1500 bytes, the performance
     of TFRC-SP should be at least as good as that from TFRC."

Draft 2) Faster Restart for TFRC
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dccp-tfrc-faster-restart-02.
txt) after idle periods: the allowed sending rate is never reduced below
four packets per RTT, or eight packets per RTT for small packets, as the
result of an idle or slow period.

FR uses a variable called X_active_min_rate:
    X_active_min_rate
      The minimum restart rate allowed by Faster Restart in the presence
      of idle and/or data-limited periods.  Note that Faster Restart
      flows can drop below this rate as the result of actual loss
      feedback.  X_active_min_rate is defined as follows:

      X_active_min_rate := min(8*s, max(4*s, 8760 bytes)).

So here the small packet is defined as anything less than 1095 bytes.

As Joe Touch put forward, the relative size of header to payload could be
the key to the answer.

Regards
Arjuna