[e2e] Small packets - Definition needed..

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Fri Mar 30 15:48:58 PDT 2007

I understood Arjuna to be asking about a boundary line between small and
large.  That has nothing, of course, to do with any "optimum" overhead,
etc.   One would expect large to be larger than the boundary line, and
small to be smaller.   In fact, the idea that a size is a really bad
choice makes it a good breakpoint - one won't find much argument if the
cumulative distribution function is flat in the region one picks.

Once upon a time, 576 would have been viewed as large (and common)
packets.   Now we see them only in certain topologies, as the typical
FTP and HTTP packets soar to the artificial limit of 1500 or so (reminds
me of the "640K PC memory limit" or the "32-bit IP address" - bad
choices that stopped progress for no particularly good reason).