[e2e] Packet dropping

Khaled Elsayed kelsayed at gmail.com
Wed May 2 02:19:32 PDT 2007

Given a per-connection queue that could potentially become full (or in
case of RED, hits dropping threshold), an incoming packet arrives and
finds the queue full. What would be the best policy:

1) admit the new packet and drop one at the queue front
2) drop the newly arriving packet.

For real-time connections, it is intuitive that dropping at queue front
would tend to result in better delay responses (this was already shown
in an early paper by Yin and Hluchyj in IEEE Trans. Comm, June 1993).
What about data/non-real time connections? Assume an FTP or HTTP session
subject to above situation, would TCP behave better if packet is dropped
from front or  the new packet is dropped?

I have no evidence but I tend to feel that if the congestion is
persistent for some reasonable time, it would make more sense to deliver
whatever is in the queue right now and drop the new ones at the expense
of increasing overall avg. packet delay. If the congestion duration is
small, it would not make a lot of difference (I guess).

Any thoughts?

Khaled